Founded by Wise Woman Dr Biruté Caldikas (her story here), Orangutan Foundation International’s (OFI) core mission is the conservation of orangutans and the tropical rainforest that is their habitat.
OFI takes a holistic and comprehensive approach with multiple complementary strategies to combat the complex challenges facing orangutans and the rainforest.
These strategies include:
• create and promote awareness campaigns that disseminate knowledge and understanding of orangutans as a critically endangered species and one of humankind’s closest living relatives in the animal kingdom
• actively protect wild orangutans and their native habitat through land purchase, patrol teams, and building local and international support coalitions
• rescue, rehabilitate, and release ex-captive and orphaned orangutans into safe and secure sites in the wild
• conduct research on orangutans, their ecology, and their behavior
• promote the conservation of all endangered wildlife and habitats in Borneo and Sumatra
Furthermore, OFI has a strong vision for the future that includes:
• ample tropical rainforest habitat that can sustain wild orangutan populations, allowing them to not only be saved from extinction but to thrive in their natural environment
• a galvanized public that appreciates, respects, and understands orangutans as unique and significant creatures