Orangutan Foundation International’s (OFI) core mission is the conservation of orangutans and the tropical rainforest that is their habitat.
OFI takes a holistic and comprehensive approach with multiple complementary strategies to combat the complex challenges facing orangutans and the rainforest.
These strategies include:
• create and promote awareness campaigns that disseminate knowledge and understanding of orangutans as a critically endangered species and one of humankind’s closest living relatives in the animal kingdom
• actively protect wild orangutans and their native habitat through land purchase, patrol teams, and building local and international support coalitions
• rescue, rehabilitate, and release ex-captive and orphaned orangutans into safe and secure sites in the wild
• conduct research on orangutans, their ecology, and their behavior
• promote the conservation of all endangered wildlife and habitats in Borneo and Sumatra
Furthermore, OFI has a strong vision for the future that includes:
• ample tropical rainforest habitat that can sustain wild orangutan populations, allowing them to not only be saved from extinction but to thrive in their natural environment
• a galvanized public that appreciates, respects, and understands orangutans as unique and significant creatures
Trailer for “Born to be Wild 3D” film by Warner Brothers (2010)
“Born to be Wild 3D” is an inspired story of love, dedication and the remarkable bond between humans and animals. This film documents orphaned orangutans and elephants and the extraordinary people who rescue and raise them – saving endangered species one life at a time.
Stunningly captured in IMAX 3D, “Born to be Wild 3D” is a heartwarming adventure transporting moviegoers into the lush rainforests of Borneo with world-renowned primatologist Dr. Birute Galdikas, and across the rugged Kenyan savannah with celebrated elephant authority Dame Daphne Sheldrick, as they and their team rescue, rehabilitate and return these incredible animals back to the wild.
Visit the wild orangutans of Borneo with Dr Biruté Galdikas
Orangutan Foundation International (OFI), working with Irene Spencer of Protravel International, a Virtuoso travel agency, operates very special trips each year to visit Camp Leakey and the Orangutan Care Center in Borneo with world-renowned primatologist, Dr Biruté Galdikas, as naturalist and host. These trips help Dr Galdikas and OFI protect the rain forest habitat of endangered orangutans. A portion of each trip cost is donated to OFI.